Book People: Pat Flynn
Book People: Pat Flynn
Pat Flynn grew up running around an old dairy farm in Queensland before moving to the Australian Institute of Sport in Canberra on a tennis scholarship. After playing and coaching on the professional circuit he became a teacher, where his observations of young people – their interests and stories – led to him writing a series about a teenage skateboarder called ‘Alex Jackson’. Pat now writes full time and lives on the Sunshine Coast where he still plays tennis and surfs. There are Teaching Notes for many of Pat Flynn’s books here.
Click on cover or title links to purchase books.
Ten Quick Questions with Pat Flynn
1. Tell us about your latest book.
‘My Totally Awesome Story’ is a collaboration with illustrator Peter Carnavas. It’s a comedy for 10-13 year-olds about a boy named Duane who can’t stay out of trouble.
2. How did you get started as a writer?
My big break came when my Year 4 teacher read my short story to the school cleaner. I ended up studying journalism at university and writing for magazines before trying books.
3. What does a typical day look like for you?
It depends on the weather.
4. Can you describe your workspace for us?
There’s a framed cover of Alex Jackson: Grommet on the wall, a bookshelf packed with novels, writing textbooks and Survivor DVDs, and a laptop with an ergonomic keyboard on the desk. On the floor is a bag with five tennis rackets.
5. Any words of advice for young readers and writers?
Become an observer – although don’t use hidden cameras or microphones, then you’re a stalker.
7. If you were not a creator of books for young people what would you be?
A tennis player and coach, a teacher and a stay-at-home dad. Hang on, I am all of those things. When do I find time to write?
8. What is your favourite food to eat and/or your favourite music to listen to whilst you are working on your books?
I like silence while I write but I do like to eat. Nothing beats a huge bowl of cereal.
9. How much of yourself or people you know is in your books?
A writer can only write about what he or she has seen or heard, so every character is a combination of me and others that I know.
10. If you could have one wish for the world what would it be?
If each person read just one Pat Flynn book there would be world peace. (It’s true, you can’t read and shoot someone at the same time.)
You can purchase Pat Flynn by clicking on the covers below!